Birth to 6 months
- Clean mouth with gauze after feedings and at bedtime.
- Regulate feeding habits.
6 to 12 Months
- First tooth should appear.
- Wean from breast or bottle by first birthday.
12 to 24 Months
- Begin to brush teeth after each feeding and at bedtime with small, soft-bristled brush using a rice grain size of fluoridated toothpaste twice a day. This is a new recommendation from the American Dental Association.
- The tooth has five surfaces – front, back, the two sides and the chewing surface.
- Brush the top and bottom teeth separately.
- Most dentists agree that the bristle tips should be applied at 45 degrees to the gum area just above where the teeth emerge and should concentrate on the gum margins (where most people miss).
- The bristles are moved back and forth with a gentle circular scrubbing motion and short strokes.
- Do not forget the teeth right at the back of the mouth and also the inside surface of the teeth.
- Finally brush all the biting surfaces.
- Follow schedule of exams and cleanings recommended by pediatric dentist.
- Most primary teeth have erupted.